Thursday, April 30, 2015

4-20-2015

Dear Family,

Thanks for the emails!! I was SO happy to hear about the art program acceptance too! I think it is incredible, the timing of receiving that. It was amazing to me too, having sent that letter a few days before, and then receiving the acceptance. It felt like a confirmation to me that Heavenly Father is helping to guide me in my choice, and that its right. I'm happy to hear about Dad's job, and that Brittney liked my letter. I really love her and Dexter, and I support and love them completely. It was fun to hear about his marine training, and I'm happy he gets to go to boot camp soon! You'll have to make sure you send me his address so I can write him. It was funny seeing the pictures. It's funny - I have a hard time seeing if I've changed on my mission, and in what ways, because it's such gradual change I guess. I don't know if I've changed or not. But I do know one huge way I've changed is what I value in an eternal companion. I was talking about this with sister w last night, before my mission I had my heart set on some righteous military hero. I mean, that sounds pretty awesome :) not complaining if it ends up that way! but I've come to know that there are so many true heroes that would make incredible husbands and fathers. I think my perspective has changed a lot in a good way, because before my mission I was so nieve and a little immature. I think I probably still am in some ways, but I'm grateful for the things my mission has taught me about finding an eternal companion. I've learned to value the most important things, like a firm testimony, humility, honor, courage, patience, kindness, compassion, strength, ect.... As well as being able to kill a moose with his bare hands. Hahaha, ok, kidding on that one :D but seriously,  I think my whole perspective has changed a lot. Anyways, sorry to ramble about that :D
I'm glad tiny Tim has recovered, and that's so crazy Jacob went to his first dance!! Soooo weird! It was fun to see pics of him and Isaac and Hannah in her cute grandma dress. :)

I did have one question about school - do you think you could schedule that appt for me to meet with that guy to sign up for classes? We'll have to figure out what classes I need to take, so hopefully I can still graduate on time, or not delay it too long with the transferring of credits and everything. I am sooo excited to live in Washington, D.C., and to study art there. That is seriously my dream, and I am so, so grateful Heavenly Father made it possible. 

We've had a great week here! The transfer is ending, we'll find out if we're being transferred this Tuesday. I think both of us will be staying - I really hope so! I love sister wright sooo much, and this area is so special to me. I love it, I love the people. I would be happy to die here. But if any changes happen, I know they'll be for a good reason, and I'll be happy with whatever happens.

R is doing amazing. We've been teaching him, and he is completely committed to his baptism. Funny story : last week he came to church for the first time. We had some sort of miscommunication, and he had actually thought he was getting baptized that day! But he showed up anyways! Haha. He loved church, and came again yesterday. We've been teaching him the lessons, and he does so much studying. He studied the Sunday school lesson ahead of time so he would be able to participate. He also asked us to tell him what we'll be discussing in the next lesson so he can study ahead of time and prepare himself. He is incredible. We taught him the restoration, plan of salvation, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we put him on date, after we left he wanted to learn more about baptism. So he searched and studied about baptism in his gospel library app on his phone, which he loves. He is incredible!! He also watches the restoration movie we gave him, and he has a testimony of Joseph smith. The eq and rs lessons this week were perfect for him, about president bensons testimony of Joseph smith. It was so powerful! The best part though was we invited him to come to a baptism Saturday evening. Transportation is hard to find in this area, because it's low income and most people don't have vehicles or their vehicles don't work. So our elders quorum president, brother D, pushed R in his wheelchair over a mile to the stake center so he could watch the baptism. It was soooo powerful and so sweet to see him, dressed in his white shirt and tie, pushing ross in his wheelchair down the (let's be honest, a little dirty and rough) streets of Phoenix, with the busy traffic and everything. It was one of the sweetest scenes I've ever seen in my life. R loved the baptism, and he is so excited to be baptized! We're still not sure how it will happen, because he can't walk, but our bishop and ward mission leader and us will figure something out. I really love R, he is SO prepared, and so dedicated! He has every excuse not to come to church and jot so things, but he wants to and he is so dedicated, and Heavenly Father is blessing him. It's powerful hearing him talk to us about how he feels the Spirit leading him in this direction and the happiness it brings him. It is so incredible and indescribable. ♥️

I'm trying to think of what else has happened.... We've done a TON of street contacting, which has been so fun. We met the sweetest old man the other day. He is blind, a marine veteran, and his wife died a few years ago. He used to be a preacher and loves the bible, and yet he is so open and wants to come to church! We had the sweetest conversation with him. I love talking with people. It's scary, the hardest part is just starting by saying hello. But once you do, it's amazing to see how many people are wanting to talk, and just need someone to listen and be a friend. I love the people here so much. I'm going to miss them. 

So much has happened, it's been such an awesome week. I have felt really sad these past two days, knowing my last transfer is coming. My mission has been the greatest experience I've ever had in my life. I don't feel ready to go home. There's so much I still want to learn, and I still want to serve. It makes me so sad to think about leaving. I am excited to see you all again, and for the great things in life still coming. But right now I just love my mission so much. I am going to miss it so, so much. But I guess I'll just not focus on that - I'll just focus on loving and appreciating each moment, and making every moment count. I love this gospel, and I love my Savior. I know that He is real and that He is the one whose given me the strength to serve a mission. It's not easy, but He has helped me. Serving Him and feeding His sheep has been the most rewarding, joyful experience in my life. The moments where I have felt such great joy, such great love that I can't even describe will be moments I'll always treasure, and they make every rejection, every hot, exhausting day biking worth it. I have loved my mission. 

Well, I love you guys. I hope you always remember how much God loves you, and I hope you all remember what great potential we have in helping his children come unto Him. We all can help and serve in some meaningful important way. There are three quotes from pmg  I want to share that I love...

First,
“Let the Saints remember that great things depend on their individual exertion, and that they are called to be co-workers with us and the Holy Spirit in accomplishing the great work of the last days” - Pres Joseph Smith
Isn't that incredible? We are called to be coworkers with the prophet, with the Lord, with the Holy Ghost in accomplishing the great work in the last days. Great things depend on our individual exertion. Out of small things proceeds that which is great. No matter how small we feel our contribution may be, it is important to the Lord and great things will come of it. We may not see that immediately, or during this life, but one day we'll be able to see clearly.

President David o McKay:
“True Christianity is love in action. There is no better way to manifest love for God than to show an unselfish love for your fellow men. This is the spirit of missionary work” (Gospel Ideals [1954], 129).

The greatest part of being a missionary is the LOVE. You feel the love of God, every day, more then you ever have in your life. You grow to love the people so, so much. You come to love the Savior more...and you learn how to better give love to others.

President Harold B. Lee (1972–1973)
 “Missionary work is but home teaching to those who are not now members of the Church, and home teaching is nothing more or less than missionary work to Church members” (Improvement Era, Dec. 1964, 1078).

I love this one. I have gained such a strong testimony of visiting teaching on my mission. All us children of God are in this together, and we need each other. Members need strengthening and testimonies shared with them, they need our love and support, just as much as people barely coming into the church do. I can't tell you how many people we've taught who could benefit sooooo much from faithful visiting and home teachers. There are so many people who are lonely, who carry heavy burdens, and who may be struggling. It is our responsibility as covenant makers and keepers to fulfill our covenants and love and serve them, and bear their burdens. We promised the Lord we would give him everything in the covenants we made. Let's remember that and try to serve a little more faithfully, a little more gratefully. When we remember that, we feel the Spirit and the love of our Heavenly Father and that service changes us, and it blesses our lives even more then it blesses the lives of those we serve. I definitely know that that's true, I've experienced it on my mission. 

I love you guys :) your such an awesome family. Thank you for everything! I love you!

Love,

Sister Whitney Morris 

No comments:

Post a Comment