Friday, January 2, 2015

December 29, 2014
















Dear Family,


It was so fun talking with you on Christmas!! I loved seeing everyone, that was by far my favorite part. :) It looks like it was such an awesome week! That's so neat Ed could come up and visit, and church sounded INCREDIBLE. Wow! I loved hearing about the woman who you taught with the missionaries, then the next day at church the stake president addressed her exact concerns. It's so incredible how that happens. :) I'm excited Bishop K is the new bishop! I love them! They are the coolest couple! And I'm so happy for Jacob I... he does look like he has that glow, in the pictures! I'm so excited for him. He is going to love Phoenix! :) And he's going to love being a missionary! It's the greatest thing in the whole world! I love that you guys have become famous in the mission there for your online missionary work, haha. Believe me, you have missionaries here who think it's super cool too! :) Elder G in particular told me you guys helped him a lot in lessons before! That's so cool! 

As for me, this week has been soooo awesome. :) I loved skyping with you!! I'm
sorry I didn't really know what to say. But I was just so happy to
hear your voices and see your faces :) I love you guys! That was
definitely, hands down my favorite part of Christmas! I already told
you some of this week, but it was so fantastic! The mission conference
was wonderful.... Our mission is really like a huge family. I love all
of the missionaries here. As I told you, MLC was soo awesome!! After
we went to the temple Tuesday morning, we literally had an hour to
email, shop, and eat lunch, and then we piled in a van and drove down
to a place called Hyder. We had no idea where we were going! But it
was soo cool because to get there we had to drive through Maricopa!
Last year, exactly one year before, after the Christmas conference and
temple trip, Sister R and I were emergency transferred there, as the
second set of sisters ever in Maricopa. A year later to the day we
drove through on our way to MLC :) it was so amazing! Sister D
was in the van too, and we had so much fun talking and catching up! I
love her!! It was so fun just talking with the missionaries. It was
weird, it felt like a road trip! But we drove 2 hours or so and
finally got to Hyder - literally in the middle of the barren desert.
The sunset was beautiful! We received training, that has really
changed my life. In my mission, recently I've sort of felt like my testimony
was missing something. I have had so many spiritual, incredible
experiences. But I felt like I was missing something. Well, they asked a question
- do you feel like a son/daughter of God? I realized that's what was
missing. Because I haven't, always. I always believed it, but I didn't
really feel it. The very first thing we teach in the first lesson is that God is
our loving Heavenly Father. I realized I haven't really thought much about that,
or focused on that, in my teaching it's kind of become a basic foundation
to begin the lesson. It's been just the first point in the Restoration lesson. But now,
I've started focusing on that -  Gods perfect love, for me, and for each of us, personally. 
Simply doing that has enriched my testimony so much. I feel even closer
to the Spirit then I did before. It's added such a richness to my testimony and fullness to my heart. It's been really amazing, and it's helped me feel even more
love for my companion and the people we teach. I know God is real, and
He loves us, personally. The Creator knows the creation better then
the creation knows itself :) Since I've realized this, and pondered
this, so much fear has left me about the future, because I trust Him
more. I know He will guide me to happiness, to having a beautiful life, because He
has guided me and helped me in the past.  I love this gospel! I love how we can always learn and strengthen our testimonies, and it literally just gets better!! It is
amazing!

It was an incredible MLC. It was only 45 min or so, then we had
dinner (They brought Olive Garden catered - yum :) ) and then we got to go and wander outside
 a
little bit. We could still hear and see our companions, but we were
able to feel like we were alone, because of sitting in the darkness,
set apart from everyone, just praying and looking at the incredible
starry sky.... You could see so many stars, countless little
glistening lights. More then you could ever begin to count.
 It was so beautiful, and was such a spiritual experience. I recommitted myself to following God and coming to know Him. ❤️ It was such a beautiful experience.

Then we piled back in the van and started the drive back. It
was so fun!! Haha 4 or 5 missionary cars were following us, and we had
to pull over to wait for someone. So Elder B, the AP driving,
pulled over - in the middle of the darkness, pitch blackness, and he stopped
the van in front of this sketchy looking stop sign. It was standing
crooked, and someone had spray painted "can't stop me" on it, and it
had bullet holes in it, and it looked like someone had burned it
because it had smoke marks on it. Hahaha it was so scary!!! We were
all laughing so hard because it was the perfect scene for a horror
movie... This van parked in front of this sketchy sign in the middle
of nowhere hahaha. It was so funny. But we just talked, and told
stories, talked about our lives and our missions and the people we've
taught and come to love. I sat by Sister D, and an elder who I found out is diabetic too!
 So that was fun! He's really cool. He also has a humbling story. They found out a few weeks ago that his little sister has a brain tumor :( They had her get brain surgery, and she was in very precarious health. From what we've heard, she is doing better, but if you could say a prayer for the F family, I know they would really appreciate it.

It was an amazing day!! The next day was Christmas Eve. We worked all
morning and afternoon, then had dinner with brother and sister torres.
They fed us really yummy Mexican food! Tostadas, and rice and beans,
and enchiladas.... it's sooooo delicious. I love hispanic food. And then we just came home and played games with our zone at the church for Christmas Eve! That was
so fun! We play a game called signs, and just have a great time all
being together. There are 18 fantastic missionaries here in south phoenix. I love all of them.

Then Christmas of course was wonderful. We are SO spoiled... Holy cow.
We woke up and opened presents.

Thank you so much for the package!!  I LOVED everything you sent! The super cute cardigan, little wooly missionary sheep, such cute earrings and everything!!! I loved it!
Thank you so much! :) One of my favorite things was the Phoenix necklace!! That was so,
so perfect! Especially because I think Phoenix has been my favorite area on my mission, whether it was Maryvale or South Phoenix. That was so special to have that. Thank you. :) 

So yeah, Christmas morning was wonderful! We got extra personal study
time, and then we watched finding faith in christ as a companionship.
That was so powerful. Then we got to Skype.... That was so, so
wonderful :) definitely the best part of Christmas. We came home, and
I actually cleaned the house.... Haha, I am such a mom. I can't relax
in a messy house, and sadly if I don't clean it nobody else will... Or
at least that's how it feels sometimes. But it's okay! It felt good to
have a clean house! We had dinner with a wonderful family, and then we
played more games with the zone. It was really fun!

Friday and Saturday were good, nothing too eventful. We had an AMAZING
lesson with T! So we walked in, and the first thing she told us
was "you know, I have great news!!! I realized smoking is a sin and is
distancing me from God, and so I quit! I threw all my cigarettes
away!" This is BEFORE we taught her the word of wisdom. Then, we were
teaching her the plan of salvation, and we came to a part in the
pamphlet about the atonement. It talks about how we need to have
faith, repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and
endure to the end to be cleansed from sin and return to God. She
turned to us, and said "sisters, from this list here, in your
perspective what do you feel like I still need?" We answered, and
expounded on baptism by priesthood authority and receiving the gift of
the Holy Ghost. She then said "you know, I think I need that too".
This is the lady who, in our last lesson about the restoration, said
there is no way this is the only church with the priesthood authority!
She then said that she wanted to be baptized, but first she wanted to know
The articles of faith, she wants to read the Book of Mormon and pray and ask God if it's true, and that's basically it. She asked what being baptized would mean, if it meant that she would be joining the church and becoming a Mormon. We taught her that yes, she would be joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and taught her about how she would be promising to always follow Christ and keep His commandments. She said she wants to! 
 It was so cool, the conversation turned to reading and praying, and we opened yet again to Moroni 10:3-5. It was the third time we've read that with her, and she said as soon as we said we would like to read a scripture with you, she knew what one it was. We read it again, and talked about having a sincere heart and real intent, and this time it clicked with her. She told us, I've read this before, but now I finally get it. I'm going to do this! I'm going to read and pray and ask God. It's between God and me. It was the most amazing, miracle lesson!!! We could hardly believe it! It was so cool!! She said she was going to come to church, but she didn't end up coming. We don't know why... but we know she has that desire. There will still be challenges for her ahead, and many things to learn, but it is amazing to see how God prepared her and how the Spirit has worked on her heart. We are praying and doing all we can for her, and we'll see what happens. :) It was an amazing lesson!!
 We also had an interesting lesson with M this week. She's been doing so well, but this week she told us she had some questions about the fourteen points, or fourteen articles of faith. We had no idea what she was talking about, maybe the 13 articles of faith? So we came back at the scheduled time, and it turned out she had started doing research on the internet about the church. A former member had written 14 points of "what the church believes". She was really worried and confused about what she read. It was so sad! We read the actual thirteen articles of faith with her, and talked a bit about her concerns, and how there is opposition to the church today, just as there was in Christ's time. But most importantly we invited her to study, from the source, for herself, and pray and ask God if it's true. We testified of the Book of Mormon, and invited her to read it and pray about it, because that's how she was going to find her answers. It went okay, she was still really sad and confused. But she said she would read and pray. We know if she does that, she will receive her answer, and the light will come. 

It was cool, in studies this morning we were thinking about her, and we came across a verse in the NT - John 1:37-41. In it, some disciples heard Christ speak, and they started following Him. Christ turned and asked them, What seek ye? They then asked Him where He dwelt, (or, we kind of interpreted it as, who He was.) Christ responded to them, Come and see. They followed Him, and spent hours with Him. At the end, they told the other people, We have found the Messias, or we have found the Christ. As we read this, we thought about - what would have happened if the disciples had asked the Pharisees? Had asked the other people who Christ was? They probably would have ended up with a very different answer. But Christ's invitation was simple - He invited them to come and see. They went and saw for themselves, and they recieved the truth. Their answers weren't dependant on the biases or opinions of men, but from their own spiritual experience seeking those answers for themselves - from the source. We are probably going to share that with her, and also Alma 32:28, which talks about how we can discern goodness and truth from God. Hopefully those things will help her.

 
I truly know this gospel is true. I have felt the Spirit so strongly, so undeniably. I know that this truth is eternal, and that we can find truth and learn truth through the power of the Holy Ghost. I am so grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony each day. I love this work, and I know this is God's work. I love being a missionary. It is super hard, but it is the greatest thing I've ever done in my life. It was the best choice I ever could have made for myself. I know God is leading me in my life. I just know He loves us, and that this is His restored gospel. 
 

Well, I love you guys! I'm so happy you had a great Christmas. :) Thank you for everything you do for me, your examples, your love, your support. I hope you have a wonderful week! Love you! Pray for us, and for T and M, that they'll be able to receive their answers. Love you!

love,
Sister Whitney Morris

Me and some of my favorite companions in front of the mesa temple! (aka in K's mission!)



 

Awesome lights display by our house
 


 

Cmas morning



 

MY EPIC T SHIRT!!!! #Iworeitallday #iloveit
 




 

And my deodorants :) A few weeks ago I had this dream where all I got for Cmas was deodorant.....hahaha well I ended up getting 5 :) I'm good for like two years!! Wooohoo!! 

 

 
R, our investigator, and Sis S and I at the temple lights! Sis De took us, she's AMAZING!! One of my all time fav member!
 

 
Blurry pic of lights - but they captured the really cool colors. I loved these Cmas lights!
 
 
 
Cool nativities at the mesa temple display
 
 
 
 
 
 
They had outdoor food stands with indian frybread (YUM), hot cocoa, and apple cidar :) only in AZ!
 
 
 
Sis S and I at the Cmas conference :)



 

S and R's baptism
 

  

gingerbread houses
Me and I and Sis J - returning to activity grandma and her cute grandson :) we love them!

 




 

This is T , a amazing lady we are teaching! She is so much fun! She wrote happy birthday Jesus on her apartment window - in red lipstick - for Christmas. I love her :)

 




Our mission Christmas picture! Can you spy me? I'm on the front row with a blue scarf :)
I can't believe it's been a year since we took the last one! So crazy!

 

 

Making gingerbread houses at FHE with A :) I can't remember if I sent these home or not, so here they are! We had so much fun!
 
 
This is bro and sis As house. I LOVE them! They love art, travel the world. And have the classiest decorating style! And their just amazing people!





 Us by the As Christmas tree :)
 

 

Zone pic before transfers

 


 Temple lights with Sis D's :) K will be here soon! The mesa temple is actually in the mesa mission but we can bring investigators there anytime!


 


 Blurry pic...

 Gorgeous lights! Pics don't do it justice at all!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment