Friday, January 16, 2015

1-12-2015

Dear Family,


I'm so sorry to hear about Dad's job! That is a real bummer :( I'll be praying that things go okay, and that he is able to find another one soon. That must be stressful! But if any family can survive on their own, I think it's definitely ours, haha. So does that change anything with the car situation?  It's incredible how much God loves each of us, and how He will help us in all of our struggles. There is a really good video I love called "The Savior wants to Forgive". It's a Mormon message about a drug addict and alcoholic, and how the Lord helped him put his life back together. It is so powerful!!!  The Savior's Atonement truly covers all of our weaknessses and mistakes.
I am so proud of Dexter! I love my brother! I'm excited to see how things turn out with him, joining the Navy and all! He is a trooper. We have such an awesome family. :) I love you guys.  That was really cool to hear about the Frodo doll selling! Man, that is good money! :) And that made me laugh about Randi and the new single guy!!! Hahaha, I can totally see ya'll laughing and giggling together... oh man. Hilarious ;) Hahaha. I loved hearing about Hannah's experience with the missionaries too! Wow, that's really a miracle! And I'm proud of Isaac being such a hard worker, and the social media splits. That is way cool :) So, Mommy, how is your PMG reading going??? Haha :D Our zone leaders recently challenged us to pray about and pick a date to read it straight through. My day is Feb 25th. It has been so powerful reading through the entire thing. I think when I have future family scripture study, I want to study the Book of Mormon one night and PMG the next, and switch off scripture reading every night. It has so many incredible principles. 

Oh, one more question, how are things going with the college applications? Have they been started? I'm really sorry to pressure, I don't mean to. I know your going through a lot right now. I just really, really want to make sure I start school in the fall again. I don't want to just stay at home and work for months :) I'll ask my mission pres if I can start them in interviews tomorrow, he might even let me do them on my own. But yeah, just let me know please! :) And those awkward family photos were hilarious!!

Well, as for me, we had an AMAZING week.
Wow, if last week was really hard, this week was truly the week of
miracles!! In a lesson this week, we brought a young woman with us
whose dad died when she was 9. She gave this amazing analogy how, when
a bird takes off in flight, at first they dip down and go low, and
that gives them the momentum to fly even higher. She compares that to
the gospel, how we have challenges or humbling moments that bring us
low... But when we turn to Christ and apply gospel principles, those
low points give us the momentum to fly even higher. That was pretty
cool! And that's how I felt about this week!

It started off with a really fun p day. We had zone activities, and so
all 18 missionaries got together, and we played skits off of whose
line is it anyway, but missionary style. It was sooo funny!! There was
one where, instead of bachelor, it's a missionary choosing their new
companion. So the missionary sits in the middle, and three potential
companions each sit in a row. The three potential comps are given
characters to play, the missionary asks them questions, and from their
answers he has to guess what character their playing. Haha, it was so
funny!! They would ask questions like, what would you say in a street
contact? My favorite character was elder B playing pres Obama...
Hahahaha. He is a great improv actor, and he totally acted like him.
He would say something like "we know your last companion left many
issues we will have to deal with..... And "I'm not here for the zone
leaders. I'm not here to go by an outdated white handbook. I am here
for our investigators!" Hahaha, don't worry, we didn't talk about
politics or anything, because we're not supposed to :) but it was a
hilarious role play.

Tuesday was great! We had district meeting, and elder J said
something that really helped me out. For some reason, I still struggle
with so much fear about the future. Elder j was basically saying that
he loves his brothers and sisters, and he won't just give them a
present and leave. He stays with them and talks with them because he
loves them. Then he said that God won't just bless us and then leave,
He is with us throughout the whole journey. That hit home for me,
because God has blessed me SO much!! Throughout my life, my childhood,
high school, and how He guided me to serve a mission. I can say hands
down that is the best decision I've ever made in my life. After he has
blessed me so much, He won't just leave me after my mission, he will
continue to be with me and bless and guide me. So that was a huge
answer to prayers. :)

We had lunch with sister S again, and she fed us pesole!! Mm, it
is the yummiest Mexican soup, with hominy and chicken, and you put
guacamole and lettuce and salsa and a squirt of lime in it... It is
seriously so delicious. After lunch we went out on visits with a
wonderful member named sister d. She is one of my heroes! Her
and her husband go to Pakistan to help Christian refugees there. They
are incredible! But we had some good lessons. That night we had a
miracle lesson with a lady named T. She
also has a baptist background - crazy, right!? So she has concerns
about the Book of Mormon... But she also has many good questions, and
sincerely wants to know. She's been to the temple and talked about the
light she sees in members faces :) and how she wants that. It was an
awesome lesson! We mainly did How to begin teaching - see chapter 10
in PMG :) and it went so well!! She is an incredible lady, and it
seems like she is a pretty solid investigator. So we are excited for
that!

The highlight of our week DEFINITELY happened on Wednesday though. So,
for the past few weeks, we have been praying to find a family. I kind
of set that as a goal for the end of my mission, to have found and
taught and baptized a family. I know it's
in Gods hands, and it's in our diligence and obedience and commitment
we give to the work that defines our success, our success isn't
dependent on other people's choices. But I thought and felt it would
be a really neat goal. So, we've been praying to find a family... And
this week, we taught the most preparing young mom ever!!! So it is
such a chain of miracles. A few weeks back, in Sunday school, we were
asked to teach. It was about exaltation, including becoming like God,
so we were really nervous about it because our investigator was going
to be there. But we start teaching, and this young man raised his hand
to ask a question. At first we kind of skipped over him, but later I
went back and asked, hey, did you have a question? He said yes, then
started asking all these questions about the plan of salvation! We
ended up teaching the whole lesson about the plan of salvation, and it
ended up great. At the end, we asked who he was, and the ward said he
was a less active member. So we went by his house later, nobody was
home, and we left a pamphlet and a note.

The next week we went by, and a lady named A answered the door!
Turns out the less active member moved out! We have no idea where he
lives, and he hasn't come back since... But we talked with A, and
she said we could come back! So we did, and we walked in - the first
thing we saw was a framed picture of Jesus - the picture we hand out
and have on our front door - framed on her table. We asked, where did
you get that?! She said, at the mesa temple visitors center! It was in
my car, but it started getting faded, so I framed if! Turns out she's
met with missionaries before, and went to the visitors center and
loved it when she lived in mesa. They moved out to phoenix and lost
touch with the church. But she was so, so interested, and she
remembered seeing the Christus statue at the visitors center and the
presentation, and how it made her feel hearing Christ's voice. We just
talked and testified about our purpose as missionaries, and how the
gospel could bless her family, and it was so powerful! Our purpose is
literally to help people become cleansed from their sins, by helping
them come unto Christ. It was an incredible lesson, we invited her to
be baptized, and she said yes!! :)

It was so cool, because in comp study in the morning we had been
preparing for her lesson. We were role playing, and sis S was
kind of having a hard time (I've totally been there- every missionary
has). So at one point I just asked her, what would the Savior do if He
were teaching this lesson to A? She just got quiet, and the Spirit
was so, so strong, and she just said, listen. Later, after we taught
A, she just opened up about her whole life - how her mom was
physically abusive :( and how she grew up in poverty and with drinking
and partying and everything. She has such a sad story. And we just
listened, with love, and I hope she could feel it. But it was so cool
that the Spirit kind of gave us that heads up that listening is what
the Savior would do, if He taught A that day. I think it meant a lot
to her. It was a powerful experience.

Anyhow, so that was our miracle for the week! We went by the next day,
taught her the restoration, she knew it because she read the entire
pamphlet we gave her :) and when we asked if she had any questions,
she just asked, how do I help my husband know this is the true church?
How do I get him involved? It was sooooo amazing!!! Her favorite part
was the first vision :) our member gave great advice, and we are just
praying her conversations with him will go well. They actually need to
be married too, so maybe we'll have a wedding then baptism :) she
really wants to get him involved. We met him once before and he sees
like a really kind, humble man, so we'll see what happens!

Isn't that a miracle?? Every tiny miracle - from not having to teach
exaltation, to going back to that young mans questions in class (it
would have been so easy to just keep going in the lesson - imagine
what would have happened if we hadn't gone back to him!) , to going by
his house and everything - all this led to us finding A and being
able to teach her family. It blows my mind every time I think of it,
how God perfectly aligns everything :) He truly answered our prayers!
It was amazing! So hopefully we'll have awesome updates on her next
week!

We were sooo blessed in teaching people this week... One day we taught
5 member present lessons in one day, which is like triple what's
normal haha. It was such a miracle! And we've been working so hard to
improve our teaching skills, and we've seen definite progress. We are
so blessed! It is an adventure - we are teaching so many baptists!
T got real upset this week because of the 3rd
or 4th article of faith, how we believe we can be saved through the
atonement of Christ by obeying the laws and ordinances of the
gospel.... She got really worked up because she thinks it's saying we
are saved by works. Oh man, it was a rough lesson! No matter how we
tried to testify of the atonement, and help her understand, she was
kinda stubborn, and didn't really want to listen. So that makes it
hard, because we can't help them if their not willing to listen. But
we are still trying to work with her and just help her the best we
can. We'll see what happens this week. We are just focusing in helping
her read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it's true, because if
she does, she'll know the other doctrines she has questions about are
true.

We've also been teaching two young men in the UK on facebook. That has
been interesting! They are both baptist (go figure) but one is a
recent Christian, the other I'm guessing has grown up baptist. The one
who grew up baptist is kind of trying to convert us, sadly haha. We
are probably going to have to drop him, because he's not really
willing to listen. But the other one seems super interested! We have a
rm helping us teach them, and it was cool because at one point C
(the one who grew up baptist) started getting really angry because we
said we believed being baptized is necessary, and is a commandment. He
started getting way mad, and started kind of attacking our religion,
the Book of Mormon, ect. It was cool because his other friend, T,
totally stuck up for us and told him to calm down. We just stayed calm
and respectful, and the next day C apologized. So that was nice!
It's definitely been an adventure teaching them... We'll probably have
to drop C, but we are excited that T is so interested and
open.

We had a really, really crazy thing happen this week... So we went to
visit L. She's trying to move somewhere else, because her landlord
is not a nice guy (he wouldn't turn their heat on, and last week it
was like 40 degrees outside). Anyways, so her life is in a state of
chaos right now :( she can't drive, so she literally walks everywhere,
and her right side is partly paralyzed, so it is just really hard for
her. She's such a hard worker though. But we walked up and started
talking to her outside, and a man walked out her front door, really
upset, and said "I have a favor to ask.... Can you... Can you take me
to the store??" L said, "no, their not going to buy you alcohol."
And the man said "they don't have to buuuy it! I just need... I need
alcohol! You don't understand! I'm an alcoholic! I need alcohooool!"
And he just started crying :( it was the saddest thing I have ever
seen in my life. This grown man, his mind not working coherently,
sobbing because his body was going into withdrawals from not having
alcohol. He was just crying, and told us how now he understands how
his mom felt before she died, because she died from alcoholism, and
how he felt so weird. He was really shaky and started putting his
shoes on. L tried to get him to stay, but he kept saying we don't
understand, and then took off running down the street. It was so, so
sad. We sat down and started teaching L. About half hour later he
walked back in the door, a totally different man. He was happy, and
completely drunk, holding a can of beer in his hand and five more in a
little bag. It was so, so, so sad! I've never seen someone that
entrenched in an addiction. It really broke my heart. It was a very
eye opening experience.

We had a few other awesome lessons. L - the young man from Mexico -
we finally saw him again!!! That was awesome! He's still really
interested :) and we also taught a lady named M whose learned a
lot of weird things about the church... But we sat on her porch and
taught her, and it ended up being a very powerful lesson. She asked
each of us to share our testimonies in how we came to know the church
is true, and she talked about how she wants to find the true church.
Then at the end we invited her to pray. She said when she met with
missionaries before, they never invited her to pray! Soo sad! So she
prayed, and it was a humbling prayer for me! She asked if joseph smith
was a prophet, and if this is he true church, and the spirit was so
strong! And then she started praying to know if our intentions were
sincere, and if we were really there because we loved the lord. Boy,
that was a self reflecting moment. Because of course, I am. But
sometimes in teaching lessons, just like any other thing in life, it
can be easy to get in a rut where you go through the motions or just
kind of go through it. I have been working soo hard to avoid that,
but her prayer was a good reminder! And it reminded me to be sincere
with our investigators, because they can probably feel it if we're
not. So that was a really good experience. It was cool though, she
asked all of us to say a prayer so we each took a turn. The spirit was
so strong! At the end she said "I recieved a revelation! I'm just
sitting here at home all the time. I want to come to church tomorrow!
And I'll bring my grandson!" We didn't even have to invite her!! How
cool is that??

Well, I'm really sorry if that was a novel haha! I know Isaac says my emails are too long :) It was just such a fantastic week, and being a missionary is really like nothing else you can ever experience in life. I think it prepares you so much for your future family, but it really is an experience you don't get anywhere else. 
We had one funny moment - every weekly planning, we have companionship inventory. It's basically a time to talk about your strengths, what you can improve, resolve any conflicts, and make changes to be more obedient if necessary. Sis S and I have had lots of good ones, because we are soooo different. We were describing how we are different, and Sis S said it perfectly - she said that she is like a space nebula floating and kind of scattered and free in space, and I'm like railroad tracks hahaha. It was so funny! And so true! I'm like... hyper focused and efficient and a super hard worker. She is probably one of the most kind, patient people I've ever met in my life. Our strengths and weaknesses balance each other out, and she's such a great example to me. I'm really grateful for her. 

Well, I hope you guys had a great week! Just for next week, could you please let me know about the college applications? I will keep you all in my prayers, especially Dad as he searches for a new job and Dexter. I also pray for all the kids, in school and friends and everything they do. I love you guys :) And just know that I know this gospel is true. <3 I know this is the Lord's work. I know we are part of God's work, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man - of everyone - but this work is also so personal. That scripture isn't just God's work - God's purpose isn't only to bring to pass the immortality and life of man, but it's to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of me, of you, of the H family down the street, of every person we meet and talk with each day. We are all God's children, and His work is to save all of them, one by one, because He loves us all so personally. I know the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a prophet. I know recieving that spiritual witness from God is something that the world can never take away from you.

I love you guys!

Have a great week!!

love,
 
Sister Whitney Morris

Not too many this week! Just a scary doberman roaming the streets of Phoenix... when we saw him, we got in our car pretty quick hahaha. So scary! And also just a companionship selfie with my sweet comp :)



 
& my district leader, Elder J! (video attachment) We sat across from each other in the MTC because we were in the same district! Along with his comp, Elder M, and my STL comp, Hermana R! Anyhow, he is absolutely hilarious. This is a sample of his goofy jokes. I love my district! They are so funny! It's really like a family, brothers and sisters all working together and serving the people of Phoenix. It's awesome! So enjoy haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment