Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Letter home May 5, 2014
























Dear Family,

Wow. Thank you so much for that email. I literally read it, sitting here in the library, with tears coming down my face. I am so proud of all of the kids, and of our family. 

Hannah, I want to write a personal letter to you later, but I'm not sure if I'll have time because it's Mothers Day next weekend, so I have some other letter writing to do. (: But I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of how strong you are. You are incredible. I'm so proud of you for standing up for your beliefs, and also for honestly questioning. I know it's through asking questions that our faith grows and we can gain those witnesses for ourselves. When everything in the world challenges our beliefs, just always remember those times you have felt the Holy Ghost. I know I've had many questions. But in the end, we can always, always trust the Holy Ghost to give us those answers to the truth. Heavenly Father wants us to live by faith... not by sight. And to me, that often makes me think that we have to learn to trust those feelings that come from Him. That can be hard in a world that ridicules and tries to tear down. But I know, without a doubt, that the Holy Ghost is real, and that those feelings come from God. Trust those witnesses. Do the work to feel the Spirit, put in the effort to sincerely pray and study and ponder, and ask Heavenly Father for guidance and answers, and to feel the Spirit. I know He will answer your prayers through the feelings of the Holy Ghost. It also reminded me of an experience Elder Russel M. Nelson had. Did you know he's an incredible scientist? There's  a few apostles that are (: But one time, a long time ago, this man came to him with a terrible heart condition. The man told Elder Nelson that he needed to operate on his heart, and fix it. Elder Nelson studied what he would need to do, and he told the man that there was no surgery that they could do to help him. He didn't know how to operate. The man told him, I don't care, I have prayed, and the Lord has told me to have you operate on me. Elder Nelson prayed, and prayed, and the day of the surgery came. He told the man before he began, "I have prayed, and prayed, and studied, and thought, and I still don't know what to do". The man told him to go ahead with the surgery, and that the Lord would guide him. Well, Elder Nelson went on with the surgery. He said that as soon as he made the first incision, a blueprint came into his mind, showing him exactly where he needed to cut, and what he needed to do to help this man's heart heal. The surgery was a success, and is now used in hospitals everywhere to help heart patients. I know it's because of that man's faith, and Elder Nelson's faith, that that was possible, and now think of how many people that has helped. I truly know that all truth is of God - whether it's scientific truth, or spiritual truth. It all fits together. We just don't understand all of it right now. (: But I believe we will someday. So trust in God! And trust those spiritual witnesses. This church, this gospel, is true. Also, you should read the talk by Elder Nelson from last conference. It's an awesome one :)

I'm so proud of Isaac, too. I would love to read that poem, if that's okay! And Adam's testimony, of his sharing the gospel, and that moment when you feel the Spirit... that made me cry (: I know the Spirit is real. That's how we recieve those answers. It makes me so, so happy that our family is being able to have those experiences to strengthen their faith and grow their own testimonies. I know this gospel is true! 
Also, the pictures of prom looked sooooo fun!!! Wow! Isaac is handsome! And Shannon looked gorgeous! She fits in perfectly. 
So glad you got the name tag (: And sorry my last email didn't come! I'll send it again after this one.

Oh man, this week has been incredible. Hard at some points, but also incredible. I don't even know where to start!

We had zone meetings this past Wednesday that have changed my life. Pres. T. met with Elder Ballard, and about twenty other mission presidents, and Elder Ballard wanted him to train all the missionaries on what he taught him, immediately. So we gathered together, and they focused completely on asking the right questions. Pres. T. shared a scripture, and then invited us to come up with a question about that doctrine. We started asking questions - just a huge group discussion - asking questions like, How can I help my companion apply the Atonement in their life? How can I become a better missionary? How can the Savior help me with (fill in the blank... self doubt, overcoming weaknesses, becoming more obedient, ect.) The Spirit was so strong. Honestly, I can't describe it, just to say that it was the most powerful meeting I have ever been in. I feel like in my life I have learned about the Atonement alot, and have applied it. But I never realized how much more the Atonement can offer us.... and how all we need to do is ask the right questions to learn even more. I feel like my mind was opened to learn many of the mysteries and incredible truths that God has to offer us. It was just so incredible. He also talked about how the apostles are so concerned for the youth, and for the missionaries, becoming deeply converted. He said that there are many, many trials coming - many dark times. And that, unless we are deeply converted, we won't have the strength to stand strong. It was... wow. Just realizing we truly do live in the last days, and and things are going to continue escalating in time, until Jesus Christ comes again... and to make it, we need to be doing these things for ourselves. Gaining our own testimonies, our own relationship and trust in God, and having that firm foundation in Christ. It was life changing. I can't describe it more, but I just know the Spirit I felt, and it was incredible.

One more thing that stuck out to me from it was that Elder Ballard said, to each mission president, and to Pres T, 
"President T, if the Arizona Tempe Mission didn't have one baptism for 5 years - 10 years - 20 years - we would still keep the mission open." He talked about how we are called to serve two missions; one for the people in the area we serve, and also one for the missionaries we serve with, and how great of an impact we can make on each other's lives. He then asked us, "What is it about a mission that can create that deep conversion?". It was so amazing. I wish I could tell you everything!
 
K is doing fantastic! We watched the Restoration with her yesterday, and afterwards I asked her what the biggest change she has seen, as she's grown in her faith and the gospel. That question led to her sharing her testimony of the gospel, of the peace she has found, and that she knows that it is true. The spirit was so strong (: She has come such a long ways, and she was so prepared! I am so excited for her baptism this Saturday. It's going to be incredible. :)

We also got to go to Maricopa for L and Tr's baptism!!! Oh, that was the best! Just seeing them walk in, and their faces were glowing. Some old friends who first introduced L to the gospel baptized them, and the Spirit was so, so strong. Sister R came too, and I can't even describe how happy I was to see her! It was one of the happiest, or probably the happiest, few hours of my whole mission. I can bear testimony that the greatest joy I have ever felt in my life has come from seeing someone I love accept the gospel, and the happiness that they gain in following and coming to know Jesus Christ. It was so incredible! 

Well, just know that everything is going so well. I love being a missionary. I feel like these past few weeks, I have grown more then I have my entire mission. I have learned so much. My heart is changing. I know that Jesus Christ is real. I have felt His love for me, and have felt the purest love flow through me as I help others come unto Him. I know that His Atonement can change our lives, and our very natures.
 

Well, running out of time. But I love you guys! Man. I am so proud of all of you. I can't wait to talk on Mothers Day :) We'll be calling probably after 6 our time - pacific time, because we don't have daylight savings - so I'm guessing that's 9 your time? Hopefully that's not too late. So keep the phone on! :) I don't know how to work skype, but I'll try, so we can try it... but maybe just calling would be best. 
I'll talk with you on Sunday! Stay strong everyone :)

love,
Sister Whitney Morris

P.S. Funny moment - there is a man in our ward named... George Edward Washington!!! That's right, we're going to go visit George Washington today. No big deal :D Haha, thought you would get a kick out of that!

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment