Monday, May 5, 2014

Letter home April 29, 2014















Dear Family,

Thank you so much for the Easter packages and letters and everything! I got them this week, and it was just so fun to read the letters and eat the chocolate covered sunflower seeds.... yum... and just be able to hear from you. I loved the picture Hannah colored for me, of the calla lilies. How did she know those are some of my favorites? (: It was so cool because we went to the temple this past week for a session, and they have beautiful calla lilies and enormous hollyhocks growing outside. It's so beautiful! So thank you so much for that! And thank you sooo much for sending the journal and garments and everything. I appreciate it so much!
I'm so happy to hear you've been reading from PMG!!! That is awesome! Those are some of my favorite parts too (: I'm so excited for Isaac's mormon prom, you're going to have to send alot of pictures! And the pictures of Peter were soooo cute! He is getting so big, but does look so little. He is so adorable :) That heart melting smile... haha. Thank you for sending those! I thought of you guys during the day and was hoping the baptism went well. That's so awesome that all the kids could help out with the program. That is definitely GREAT practice for serving a mission, and just serving in the church in general! Thanks also for sharing your experiences about the priesthood blessings, Dad and Mommy. That was so amazing to hear. (: I love this gospel. And it's incredible how the Spirit can guide us to say exactly what the person needs to hear. Way to be awesome examples (:


Well, this week has been TERRIFIC! Oh man! I don't even know where to start. But I guess I'll start on Tuesday. So on Tuesday we had our lesson with K... and it was so amazing. The Spirit was so strong! We talked about the Plan of Salvation, and God's plan for us and our families, and how we need to follow Jesus Christ to return to live with Heavenly Father again. The Spirit was so strong, and we invited her to be baptized.... and she said yes!! (Haha don't I sound like a guy telling his parents he got engaged? Haha, sorry, random funny thought.) Anyways, it was so amazing because she told us that when she first started meeting with us, she just felt so skeptical. She didn't really believe anything we were saying. But the as we've been meeting with her, she has just started believing more and more. And I know it's because she's been keeping her commitments. She's prayed with us, and has started praying often on her own. She's been reading from the Book of Mormon, and has told us about how what she's read has applied to her life, and she's just learning so much from the scriptures! And the Spirit has been so strong during our lessons. So she is getting baptized on May 10th!! 
Our next lesson with her we taught her the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it went so well. We had a super powerful moment when we talked about forgiveness, and both she and we were just crying. It was just so amazing. Near the end of the lesson we asked her why she wanted to be baptized, or what made her want to, and she started crying again. She told us that she had searched her entire life for a church that felt right to her, and that now she felt it. She told us how it gave her so much happiness and hope and meaning to her future, and it was just so amazing. She did tell us she felt sad, because she didn't feel like her family would be excited for her. But... I'll tell you something cool later on (:

So on Sunday she came to church and it was the best experience! She just loved it and was so happy, and has such a great attitude about everything. Later that night she texted us, and told us that she had invited her family to her baptism, and that she had some great news to tell us!!! So she's going to tell us what happened tomorrow, and I am so excited!

We also had a Word of Wisdom lesson with her a few days ago, and it was so funny because we taught her it, and she accepted it no problem. She just told us "I can do it!" And completely accepted it. And she told us that she's glad we taught her that lesson that day, because later that night she was going to go to a party. It was really cool, perfect timing. I wish I could describe how strong the Spirit is and how incredible it is to see someone make these changes in their life. It is the best experience I've ever had!!! I truly know that the Lord is aware of each and every person, and that some people are so ready to accept and receive the gospel. They truly are out there, searching for the truth, they just don't know where to find it. Well, it is the best feeling in the world to be there, and to bring it to them. I am so, so, so blessed.

We went to the Mesa temple on Wednesday for a session, and that was so beautiful. The Spirit was so strong. We had so many miracles this week, in teaching and in finding.... the work is truly moving forward here, so quickly! It's funny, at the beginning of the transfer I had this epiphany. I thought to myself, I knew I would always be happy on my mission. If I just helped one person come closer to Christ, or to accept the gospel, my entire mission would be worth it. And even if I didn't, I would know I had spent my time serving God and doing what He wanted me to do. Well, at the beginning of the transfer, I had this epiphany while reading Alma, and I thought to myself, "Why just one person? Why not more?" My attitude and faith just totally changed, from being content with bringing one soul unto Christ, to having the faith that there are many that we can bring. I think that moment prepared me for this transfer. We had another baptism this past weekend, of L, a sweet intelligent 9 year old girl. It was such a sweet experience, she was so happy! 

It's funny, this weekend T and L are getting baptized, the family that I LOVE back in Maricopa. So we are going to be able to go!!!! I am so excited!!!
Then the weekend after that, K is going to be baptized. That leaves one weekend in the transfer - May 17th - where we wouldn't have a baptism/be attending the one in Maricopa. We realized this, and we started praying this past week that we would be able to find someone who is ready and prepared to be baptized on that day. Well, we prayed, and prayed, and talked with everyone on the street, and contacted our referrals, and did everything. Then, this past Saturday, we went and taught a lady named V. It was our first lesson with her, and it went incredibly. The Spirit was sooo strong. She asked many questions, and we taught her about how God is our loving HF, how the gospel blesses families, and about prophets and the priesthood, and how Christ established His church. During the lesson the Spirit was so strong, especially as we explained the authority of the priesthood, and we asked her, "V, what would it mean to you to be baptized by that authority from God?" It felt like everything we had taught had sunk deeply into her, and she thought, and she told us that she can't describe with words how that would be - that it would just be incredible, and such an honor and a blessing. The Spirit was so strong. After that, we invited her to be baptized, and invited her to prepare for May 17th. She asked what she needed to do to prepare, and we told her - study, pray, we'll meet with you, come to church, ect. - and she said that she would prepare.
Isn't that incredible? We are meeting with her again tonight, and she's told us that she needs this in her life. We are hoping and praying that she'll continue to keep her commitments and come to church, so that she can progress to that day. But if not, I know that the Spirit she felt touched her heart, and that she's being opened to that path. But I thought it was so incredible that Heavenly Father answered our prayers, and led us to someone who could - if they do their part - be baptized on May 17th, and that seems so ready. It was truly an answer to our prayers.

Needless to say, this past week - these past few weeks - have been incredible. Sadly L dropped us for a while, because he and his wife are separated and he says he just has too much on his plate right now. But I know we definitely planted seeds with him. And, if V does continue on and get baptized, then that means we will have had a baptism weekly this transfer, except for the week we go see Trevor and Lisa's baptism (: How amazing is that? What's funny is that the fact that we're baptizing weekly sounds cool, but that's not the point - the point is that there is so much success here in helping people come to Jesus Christ. They are so ready and just waiting for us. It is the best feeling in the world, and the Spirit has truly guided us and led us to them, or has led them to us. 
Gosh, I love being a missionary!!!

I just want to end by saying I truly know this gospel is true. I know it with all my heart. This morning Sis D and I role played teaching the First Vision. As I shared Joseph Smith's experience, the Spirit came so strongly and so undeniably that I know, without a doubt, that this church is true. This church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - is truly Christ's church on the earth today. The priesthood power and authority is real, and is here, available to bless our lives. Christ is our Savior, and He lives. I know it! 

I love you guys. This is the greatest work in the world. I am so happy right now. (: And I'm so grateful to share this with you! Thank you for all your support and love. I appreciate it so much. You guys mean everything to me.

Real quick, some funny moments -

So every night our District sends each other "Oh yeah moments" or the best part of our day, with accompanying hashtags. I think Thurs night the elders text us their awesome experience, and then they say...#faithfulApril #district3swag #wemetawomannamedObamaniqua #wethoughtofsomeghettonames #heretheyare #laquisha #lafonda #orangjello #yomamma #michelleobandra

Hahaha, aren't those hilarious? We laughed so  hard.... I thought of you guys instantly. (: 

Love you! Have an awesome week! Keep praying and choosing the right. (:

love, 
Sister Whitney Morris



Our district! We share the Maryvale ward with the elders, and the other sisters are in our district too. It's such a fun group (:
 


Us at the temple, and Elders we share the area with. They're goofballs, and awesome!











Phoenix Zone
#Phoenix4Life (:

No comments:

Post a Comment