Monday, March 17, 2014

Letter Home March 10th


Dear Family,
 
I am so grateful you have all  been praying for R. and T. and our investigators. I know they really do make a difference (: There is so much power in prayer! When we take the time to sit and exercise our faith, and pray about our specific challenges and concerns, or specific gratitude and what has happened that day, I know Heavenly Father truly blesses us so much more - and blesses us specifically. We tell investigators often that we need to ask specific questions to get a specific answer. Thanks so much for praying for them by name :)
 
I'm so glad you all loved Reclaimed! That is really one of my favorite movies, we use it all the time :) There is also a really good one called Earthly Father, Heavenly Father. It is super powerful, because it's about a dad - a really awesome role model dad. And then it talks about Heavenly Father. So you guys should watch it :) 
Haha I LOVED the sugar free candy! It just.... ( ;-) )
 
I'm so glad you got the china, and the plates! Thanks for letting me know :) The lambs are sooooo cute!!!! Oh my goodness their the cutest things I have ever seen! I love how their red, like Peter's hair :) Haha when you were writing about the lamb head I thought you were talking about a real lamb... like a real lamb head waiting for me when I get home haha, gross!!! Then I saw the picture and realized it was a cake haha.... I was glad to see that :D
 
Oh could you tell (JC) I got his letter? I'll write him today if I have time, I wrote him back but it must have never gotten there! Maybe you could ask for his address? There were also two other friends who contacted me on fb who I couldn't answer... one's name is J, from West Jordan and the other is M.  from VA. Maybe if you have time you could message them and say I couldn't answer on fb but would love to write them? Or not, if that's kind of weird haha.
 
That is so cool that man is coming (to tell you more) about the house! Wow! That's SO awesome you have felt (the Spirit about it. :) We really never know how the Spirit has been preparing people... there is a scripture in Alma that talks about how the Lord sends angels to prepare the hearts of men to recieve the gospel. I know that that is true! That is so exciting, you'll have to let me know how that goes!
Peter's modesty tape is soo cute!! Haha that's so awesome he is so aware of modesty :D Way to be, Peter!  :)
 
Something I've definitely learned on my mission, how important visiting/home teaching is. It makes SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE to just visit someone, let them know they are loved and accepted, and sharing the gospel with them, and bringing that Spirit into their home. I'm just so proud of you for being such an awesome visiting teacher all these years :) Your an awesome example, and so is Dad, and all the kids! We have the best family ever.
 
Ahh I am freaking out about Dexter still, haha. You'll have to let me know how that goes! That's awesome Dad gets to see Brayden so much too! Way cool!
 
Well, this week has been pretty awesome. So much always happens, and then I sit down and can hardly remember what to write, haha!
 
But one of the highlights was meeting and teaching S.!
 
So, there was this house we would always knock - we've probably knocked it over twenty times, and nobody has answered. But this week, a young woman opened the door! She was so bubbly and fun, really friendly personality, and she told us to come back and teach her. We came back and had our first lesson with her.
We sat down, and started getting to know her and her religious background. She told us that she hasn't had any religious experience in her life, at all! Not even prayer or Bible or anything. She is from California, and is just so easy going and fun. Anyways, we started teaching her about how God is our loving Heavenly Father. As we taught her, we could feel the Spirit so strongly. And we could see in her face that she was feeling it too. :)
After we talked, she shared with us that a few years ago she had a friend named L. who had been trying to bring her closer to God. Things were going well, and then L. was killed in an accident. They were really close, and S. was devastated. She told us in our lesson that as we taught her, she felt like L. was there, helping her come closer to God. She kept laughing and saying that she felt chills when we testified to her, and it was just so cool because we could tell she was feeling the Spirit so strongly. It was a really awesome lesson :)
 
We also taught T. this week, and that went great! K. is the best member fellowship EVER. T. had called him and asked him to hang out, and K. asked him "Have you read the intro to the Book of Mormon yet?" T. said no, and K. had them read it together before they started doing their fun stuff (whatever teenage boys do haha) that day! That was so awesome! So T. is doing great. He does remind me a bit of S., just so happy and awesome :) He's out of town this week for spring break, sadly... luckily we can still get in touch and teach him over facebook :)
 
Yesterday was kind of hard. R. has been doing AMAZING. We met with her almost every day this week, and she just knows it's true. She has that light in her face, and we've seen her countenance change even in that amount of time. Yesterday she was all set on coming to church, and the mission president fireside... but when the member went to pick her up, she wasn't there. We're not sure what happened, and weren't able to get in contact with her at all :( But we're going to try again today. So she won't be able to get baptized on March 22... but we are going to meet with her, and see what's going on, and get her back on date. So please keep her in your prayers!
 
One major thing I've learned as a missionary is sometimes there are disappointing times. There are lots of disappointments - it's a roller coaster! One moment you can feel devastated, the next your so happy you can't stop smiling. But even though there are disappointments, we don't have to be disappointed in ourselves. When we are obedient, working hard, and doing our very best to follow the Spirit and help these people come closer to Christ, we are doing our part. We can know the Lord is happy with us and our efforts, and we can know we have been a successful missionary - even if people don't accept our message.
 
Well, I can't think of too much more to say. It's starting to get really hot already, we've pulled out the camelbaks! And the lizards here are hilarious. When they get too hot, they push themselves up and down, and they look like their doing pushups! It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.
 
I'm just so grateful for this gospel. I'm so grateful for my companion, Sister R! She is incredible. I can't tell you how patient she's been when I get grumpy or impatient, and she is just always asking how she can help me. She is such a good example. We are so alike, and we think we're finally learning what Heavenly Father wanted us to learn as we've been serving together - just to be patient and choose to be happy. I have learned SO much from her!
 
Well, love you all! Thank you again so much for the letters and packages. I'm so excited to get my birthday one :) I'm getting ooooollld..... haha :)
 
Oh, and that teacher sounds CRAZY. You guys are awesome for standing up and saying something. Way to go Hannah! I'll write her, and everyone, a letter later today :)
 
Love you all!!!! I miss you!! And I love you all TONS.
 
love,
Sister Whitney Morris
 
 
Playing sports with the zone on P day (:
 
 
 

 We had a blast!
 

 One of my favorite pictures of Christ <3
 

 We were driving with the windows down, and suddenly we drove through a mini dust tornado!!! The wind swirled around inside our car, full of dust and little leaves & twigs, and we could t see anything... It was CRAZY. This is the aftermath. Our hair looked insane, but you can't really see it in the pictures.
 
 
 
 
 


 The sunsets look so much better in real life... Their breathtaking,
 
 
 Cheesy missionary joke (:
 
 

 Look at the clouds! So cool! Isn't this beautiful? I love the silhouettes of the palm trees too. Definitely one of my favorite things of Arizona (:


 
A cool cactus!
 
 

 One of my favorite chapters <3 Alma 26 & 27.
 


 The Book of Mormon! The book is blue, and the book is true (: Read it!!
 

 We were biking and heard this super weird hissing sound... I thought it was a sprinkler. I looked down, and there was this random owl standing by the sidewalk! It looked like he was guarding something - he would glare at us and hiss if we got too close, but he wouldn't fly away. He was beautiful! It was so cool!
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment