Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mon, Jan 20, 2014

Hola familia!

I'm so glad things are going so well at home. I can't believe how freezing it sounds there! Brrr!! My companion and I are such wimps, we don't ride our bikes at night because it's too cold (the 40's or 50's) and so we just drive haha. I can't imagine all that snow... I'm so glad I'm serving in Arizona!
 
You should all start reading PMG - even once a week as a family. That book is a gem, it's incredible! I'm going to keep studying it my whole life.
 
Congrats Hannah on the swim meet!!! Stay strong (: And hello everyone!

This week has been great!
Transfers came, and I'm staying in Maricopa with Sis R. I was sooo happy and relieved and excited! It's so nice in an area once you start getting to know your investigators and the ward. They're incredible. I love it here.
I have a little list of things to tell you during the week so I don't forget, haha, so here it goes!
 
This week we talked with some teenagers and taught them a lesson on the street. One of their names was Cypress - just this kid who looks like a typical rebellious teenage boy. Anyways, we were talking with them about prayer, and how God answers our prayers and how He loves us. Cypress looked at me and he asked "How can you say that so confidently?" And immediately I said "Because I know it". The Spirit was so strong. I know there is spiritual power that comes to you from being a missionary. The Lord promised it, and  in 'Preach My Gospel". I have seen that. Even though Cypress wasn't convinced, I know he felt the power of what we were saying. It was such an amazing moment. The Spirit truly does testify that what we say is true, even if people don't accept it right away.
I'll keep you all in my prayers. I read a really good section in Preach My Gospel under Christlike attributes, under Virtue today that I thought was really good. It talked about how our mind is a stage and if it's just empty then Satan and the world throw all kinds of junk at it. But if it's filled with good things - scriptures, truths of the gospel, serving others, prayer, hymns, ect - then those fill it up and keep those things from coming in. So whatever weaknesses or struggles we have, filling our lives with good things will definitely help keep those things away. There's also a good scripture - Moroni 7:33 - that says "And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me, ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me". I know that is true. It's incredible what faith in Christ can do. I know as we focus on Him, He will help us and enable us to overcome our weaknesses. He will give us strength to do the things He asks us to do. 
 
We've had the opportunity to find some new investigators - our teaching pool is kind of small right now so we're really focusing on working with the members and talking with everyone. It's cool, there's actually people from all over the world! We've had people pray with us in Farsi and French (: It's sweet haha.
 
It's funny how much the Spirit guides you. Sometimes we've been biking and we see someone, and we just immediately both know that we have to go talk with them - it's like we're being drawn to them. And those conversations have been so enlightening and we've been able to share our testimonies and they've been so receptive. Other times, you see someone, and you feel this dread to go talk to them. And pretty often they just reject us right away. So it's interesting how the Spirit kind of leads you. We always do our best to talk to everyone, regardless, but it is amazing how we are led to people (:

Some funny things - every day we bike by this pond where there are tons and tons of little turtles! They like to sunbathe on the rocks, and sometimes they stick their legs out straight in the air behind them over the water, hahaha. It's the funniest looking thing! I don't know why they do that, but they sit with their legs straight out for hours. It's hilarious haha.
 
 
To try and help the members get excited and trust us to give us referrals, we've decided to speak in sacrament mtg... so we volunteered and we're speaking in 3 weeks. Yay, haha... it will be really good. I'm excited to help the members get more excited. Their already motivated, but we just need to help them get the ball rolling in acting on that motivation. Their amazing though! And many of them have already started. So it's very exciting!!

Well, love you all!
Thanks so much for the letters and funny notes and everything. I can't wait to get those pictures! And I think I'll just have people write the mission address my whole mission, because if I get transferred and the mail sends to the old address, sometimes mail gets lost. It just takes a few extra days (:

Also, have you heard anything about Medtronic? Are the supplies coming through okay, or do they need a prescription or anything?

Love you!! Off to go shopping, clean, and do other fun P day things - maybe shoot some hoops in the park (: Fun stuff. Love you!!

love,

Sister Whitney Morris

First pic: This is what lunch looks like on Sundays when we have to pack it.... ramen, green beans, and popcorn, hahaha.
 

The drawing was on the white board in the mission home chapel when we had transfers! I was so nervous!
 



We were staying with a sister because her comp left to Brazil (visa waiter) and their dog literally ate the entire box of my cheerios... all they found was this chewed up box hahaha.
 
 
And our beautiful artwork  before zone meetings. That is a true account of what Maricopa looks like (: Cows, cacti, mountains, and beautiful sunsets.



This is the Sister we stayed with. Her member family is soooooo funny!!! They just got reactivated, from home teaching - home teaching & visiting teaching is so important!!! - and now he's a ward mission leader, and their the funniest people ever. So awesome. The wife owns this enormous retro red pair of heels, so we had to get pictures, of course... haha.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment