Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 17, 2015


Dear Family,

Thanks so much for the email! It's always so fun to hear from home. I can't believe K goes into the mtc this week - that is so incredible! I'm excited to hear where Isaac is called to serve. :) Its totally okay about the mustang, haha, don't worry! I'm just super grateful I'll have a working car when I go home. I'm glad the valet called Isaac to get the insurance and everything, so hopefully it'll be taken care of soon. That was fun to hear about Shaffer's too! I may actually want to work there over the summer.... It makes pretty good money, quickly, and I just want to save up for school and a cell phone and everything. I feel bad coming home and not being self reliant immediately haha, but I know that's an unrealistic expectation for myself. But I do want to work hard in school and with everything so I can become self reliant. I'm really grateful for everything you have helped me with. I was thinking maybe I could help with extra jobs or hard jobs around the house to pay back for car insurance and gas and stuff while I get on my feet a tiny bit. So just something to think about! I'm excited to start taking pictures again, too. :) 
That's scary about stalkers haha.... Oh man! Well, I keep telling Sister W this, but if there is anything that teaches you loving boldness, it's definitely a mission. I told her that I definitely had "nice girl syndrome" before my mission, but after my mission I feel pretty confident in being able to tell guys I'm just not interested. So that's a good thing! I was actually thinking of inviting Isaac to go to institute and the YSA ward in DC with me, if he wants to, before his mission. I want to start going or else I'll never get married ;) and I want to have a social life when I get home haha. I really do want to get married in the temple, when the time is right, and I know that might be a little harder in Virginia. So I've learned on my mission the power of setting goals, and making plans to meet those goals. So, my plan to meet that goal is to be really active in church and Institute (not just for that reason, of course), just right from the get go. Isaac, would you be interested in that? No pressure or anything, of course. I'll be happy to go by myself too :) it's just a little scary thinking of going places by myself now haha..... So weird!!

I also wanted to let you know before I forget that I want to live on campus. My dream would be rooming with fellow ysa people, but the first step is probably just living on campus. If they have a survey thing to fill out, could you put that I am a morning person - NOT a night owl - (that's not quite true, but hopefully I'll avoid any hard core parties roommates that way) and that I'm super duper clean. I'll just pray for really good roommates. Hopefully I'll get married before too long and I won't have to worry about that anymore, haha. Boy, I sound marriage trunky, don't I? I promise I'm not. It's so funny, the elders here are wayy more marriage minded then the sisters! It's hilarious. I just don't want to put it off, if that's what Heavenly Father wants for me. I am trusting in His timing. But I know some people put it off and miss this time that is the perfect opportunity, and they never get married. Sad day!

That was sweet to hear about J Is emailcall, and I'm sorry to hear Hannah is having such a hard time! That's one thing I'm nervous for about going to school at GMU - especially in the art program. That's one reason I was kind of leaning to art history instead... But hopefully I'll be able to succeed in that field, and make a positive impact in the world, and be a good example, uphold truth and everything. Hannah, I know you already know this, but if you ever feel alone you can just pour your heart out to your Heavenly Father. He always listens, even if we are angry or have a runny nose from crying haha. He always listens and always answers. Something cool I found in studies this week talked about the Holy Ghost. I related the calling to being a missionary, but it could relate to anyone I think. As members we are each called to be a representative of Jesus Christ, and covenant with God to take upon ourselves His name. Here's the quote

Because you are called by Jesus Christ to His service, you may go forward with great confidence. First, you may be assured that He knows you and your capacity to grow. He has prepared you. Calls will stretch you, often at the start and always over their course, but He will give you the Holy Ghost to be your companion. The Holy Ghost will tell you what to do when your own abilities and efforts are not enough (see John 14:26). The Holy Ghost will prompt you to bear testimony with conviction. The Savior will let you feel the love He feels for those you serve. The call is an invitation to become like Him

I love how it says the Holy Ghost will tell you what to do when your own abilities and efforts are not enough. Because, believe me, all of us imperfect human beings, our own abilities and efforts aren't enough. We need Him, and hard times sometimes teach us that - that we do really need our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ every hour. So if you don't know what to do, just pray a lot, and rely on the Savior through prayer and study. You will feel their love, and you won't feel alone anymore, and you'll feel confident knowing your doing the right thing. You'll know what to do. 

It's hard when you feel alone or misunderstood, but that's why I love your poem so much Hannah. What Heavenly Father thinks is what is most important. I think your being an awesome example, you never know who is watching your example and being inspired by it, without you even knowing. I've met and taught many people who gained an interest in the gospel because of the good example of their friends or coworkers. Some of them had known members 10+ years ago and their example still made the difference, and made them take an interest in learning even that much later. You never know the difference you are making, and I think your being an awesome missionary by standing up for what is right. Your so awesome, Hannah :) 

Mommy, it was so funny to read about how you love reading from Mormon, and about the wars! Super funny because in relief society yesterday, we had the funniest lesson.... It was awesome, but a lady there who is really sweet, a recent convert, she's super old and just is confused about the gospel - she kind of got in a debate with the teacher about how she doesn't like the wars in the Book of Mormon. Lots of ladies had wonderful things to say, but it wandered from how they liked rated R movies but couldn't watch them so they enjoyed reading the battles in the Book of Mormon, to how we are fighting a battle against Isis, to all sorts of really random topics.... So, not going to lie, Sister W and I were happy we didn't have any investigators there that day, haha! Anyways I think that's awesome and just super funny that you mentioned that. I love reading about that in the Book of Mormon, especially the righteous leaders who didn't want to fight, but knew why they had to and their incredible examples. The Book of Mormon is so awesome :) 

Well, as for us, it's been an awesome week! We did a lot of service, at st Mary's food bank and also helping L chop up tree branches near her house. The weather has been gorgeous - 70s and 80s. SO weird for Phoenix, but I'm so happy about it! I'm hoping it will last 2 more weeks so I won't have to deal with 120 degree weather again before I go home. :) 

We had exchanges this week, and I got to go to south Phoenix with Sister A! My companion in Gilbert! We had an awesome time together. She and I had a lot of struggles we worked through as companions, and it was really cool to see how much she's grown, and also how much I've grown in some ways too. Looking back on our companionship, I can see so many mistakes I made or things I did that contributed to the hard time we had. Now I can see that and know how to handle things differently. We had a really, really awesome exchange, and it was a lot of fun to serve with her again, and reminisce about some people we taught and experiences we had. It was a lot of fun :)

We have some great news - J is getting baptized this Saturday with L! Remember L, the sweet old man we have been teaching? He was on date to be baptized but went into the hospital and it had to be postponed. Now he's recovered, and he had some struggles with tithing and the word of wisdom, but we worked with bishop and together we are helping him along. L has committed to live the commandments, we just know he'll need extra continued support to help him continue to do so. Anyhow, his great grandson is getting baptized this Saturday - he's 8 - and so L wanted to be baptized with him. So he'll be getting baptized this Saturday. :) Bishop feels really good about it. I'm a little worried - I've learned as a missionary that it can be pretty easy to help people be baptized. But what my heart really, really wants for them is to experience true conversion so they can remain strong in the gospel. I think L will, he is very faithful in coming to church and he has a good relationship with bishop, so I know those things will help him be strong. Then J wants to be and is preparing to be baptized this week as well. She's so amazing - her mom has been in the hospital all week, so she's been in surprise. So we haven't seen her at all this week :( but she drove all the way down from surprise to come to church this Sunday, even though she could just stay for a little bit. I'm worried for her and A too, but I think I just worry too much. They are such an awesome family and I know they really want this for themselves and to raise their young family in. So I know things will turn out okay for them. If you could keep them in your prayers though, that would be awesome!

The highlight of the week was last night, we took R and L to the mission presidents devotional in Tempe. It was so awesome!! It was so funny - Us and Sister R all squished in this tiny car. They are all in their 60s and older haha. It was just so funny, talking and laughing with them :) I love them all! It was a fantastic meeting, and very spiritual. They all loved it. It was my last MPD, so that was a little melancholy. It's hard having my mission wrapping up. We are still working hard, and I love being a missionary. But at night, my mind doesn't stop thinking anymore. It's like Christmas Eve as a kid, but every single night. It's exhausting haha, I hope it doesn't continue this way for the next 2 weeks! I'm just nervous to come home. And sad, I'm going to miss Arizona and the people. And just being a missionary. It's the greatest calling in the whole world. But I am determined to keep serving and stay strong when I come home, and I'm excited for what that will bring. I feel like going home is when the real work begins. 


Well, I love you guys. Thanks so much for all your support and love. I actually would love some help shipping things. I think I'm going to get rid of most of my clothes, but I'll probably mail home my letters and a bunch of other stuff. There is some funny news about my bike - I got a call from the detective two days ago, and they found it! Sad news is, whoever stole it pawned it to a pawn shop, so I either have to pay $100 to get it back or come back in a year + to go to court and get it back for free. If I don't show up  they'll just give it to the state and they'll auction it off. So I'll probably just do that. I'll leave the bike I have now (a sister gave me hers for free when she went home) with some members who need it. There are a lot of kids in the ward who don't have one who would probably love it, and it's pretty beat up so probably not worth sending home. 

The biggest help I'll need going home is just getting a cell phone and clothes. I've saved up over $100 in gift cards, so I'll be able to buy all my own clothes and everything. But I would like to get a phone asap - for work, school, dating, church callings, it's pretty important ha. But we can figure that out when I go home. Do you know how much money I still have in my savings? I lost track a while ago. I've tried not to spend too much, but I know I've spent a few hundred in the last 18 months. Also, were ya'll able to set up a doc appt yet? That's another thing worrying me.... How long am I allowed to stay on my parents insurance? With diabetes I need to become self reliant and get my work and everything started pretty soon, but I think that will work out in the coming years. 

Well I think that's all for this week! I'm doing awesome, the work is moving forward, and things are going great. :) I know this gospel is true, and I know that the savior lives. I know the Book of Mormon is true, and no matter how many times we read it, if we feast on its words we learn the most INCREDIBLE things. God really speaks to us through its pages :)

 I love you guys and hope you have an awesome week! Love you!!!

Love,

Sister Whitney Morris 

No comments:

Post a Comment