Monday, March 23, 2015

3-16-2015

Dear Family,

Thanks so much for the emails! Dad, first of all, I am SO sorry about your birthday! I have meant to send you a birthday card for the past two weeks, but with transfers we've had mixed up P days, so today is the real day we've had to write letters since two weeks ago. So I'm so sorry!!! But I love you and hope you had a Happy Birthday!!! And thank you SO much for handling all the college stuff for me!! I got the package you guys sent me, and I LOVED it!! Haha thank you so much!!! I especially loved the mustache pen and the Irish swag t shirt :D Did one of the boys wear that before you sent it? Haha because I put it on and it smelled like campfire :D It was a great reminder of home, I loved it haha!! Thank you so much!!  I'm glad E. is doing well. He is such an amazing convert! I hope things work out for the best with the struggles he's going through. I loved Dad's new mustang pic, and I'm super excited to have a car when I get home :) Thanks sooo much for the gift card for my birthday! Sorry I accidentally opened it haha. But Im super grateful, because when I get home I won't have anything! no cell phone, hardly any clothes, ect... so that money will help sooo much. Thank you :) The baby lamb is sooooo cute!! Mommy I love how sheep are your thing now, haha! Especially how you've always loved horses so much. I think getting a horse in the future that's more small and that everyone can ride is a really, really good idea. I can't believe how old Hannah and Katharine (And I!) are getting!! Ahh it is so crazy! I hope she has a fun birthday. :) There's nothing better on a birthday then just spending time with your family - except for serving a mission, of course!

Well, as for us, it's been an AWESOME week! You'll never guess where I'm sitting right now.... I got
transferred to Maryvale!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! It has been one of the
happiest experiences of my life!! I stepped down from being a sister
training leader, which was kind of a relief. :) No more trainings, I
can just relax and enjoy learning from the meetings now, which I LOVE. And I was
asked to second half train a missionary!! So my new companion has been
out for 7 weeks. Her name is Sister W and I LOVE her! She is the
sweetest, most gentle and positive person I have ever met. She always
has a positive spin about everything, she has such a strong testimony,
and she is really funny too! She has a really cute sense of humor. So
I am so happy to be her companion! I was nervous to train, but as we've started serving together I
honestly feel like she's training me. She came out pre-trained. She's an awesome teacher, and I forget that she's only been out a few weeks. She is sooo awesome!  I am
really excited for this transfer :)

It was sad to leave south Phoenix. I think south mountain ward is the
one I've most loved serving with. I love and miss Bishop and Sister
A, Brother T, and Brother and Sister G. But I am so
happy to be in Maryvale! It's been one of the happiest experiences of
my life, reuniting with the people I loved, served with, taught, and
baptized here :) our first night we got to go see K and J!!!
Their the two sisters sister D and I taught and baptized last May
here! That was sooooo awesome!!!! They are both doing so well - their
active in church, K serves as a young women's leader so she's with
J in young women's, and K is going to byu Idaho this fall!
Her testimony is so strong, and they are just doing soooo awesome.
K is even rooming with sister D there, and I am so excited for
them. :) that was such a sweet reunion! They even made me a welcome
back poster with really sweet notes on it. It was so cute! It's been so special, because I remember in the MTC there was a general authority who talked about how we would be somebody's missionary. All missionaries are special, but the missionaries who first taught you or who you had that first friendship with are sooo special. It's such a sacred blessing to be someone's missionary, and I am SO grateful Heavenly Father gave me that opportunity for K and J, and it really is such a sacred privilege to live up to that, and to continue to be faithful and live the gospel for the rest of my life. 

It's so fun, everywhere we go I have all these fun and awesome
memories. Sister w is an awesome listener, I tell her all kinds of stories every day haha, and I love listening to her too when she shares stories. We did a lot of service this week! I'll write more about that later! But first of all before we left south Phoenix, we taught R one
last time. It was so awesome!! He had an experience last week when he
was in the hospital. He was going through some rough illness, and he
was so down that he just prayed very deeply, with all his heart. When
he was praying, he told us that he received a witness that the bom is
true and that Joseph smith was a prophet. His heart had completely
changed. He said he needed to make God the first priority in his life,
and he said he would come to church this Sunday and do everything he
could to be baptized. It was crazy though because he was going to find
out if he had to go to jail the next day (he had been pulled over
driving on a suspended license, and he's had a rough past). So we
called him the next morning, shared a scripture, and gave him some
encouragement. He brought his bom with him just in case he went to
jail, so he could still read it. But they didn't send him there!!! He
was sooo happy because it meant he could go to church! He is also
preparing for baptism on April 18th. It was such an honor to teach
him. He has a reallyyy rough past, he's never done anything super bad,
but he used to have a reputation in the neighborhood for dealing drugs
and being a gang leader and stuff. So he's going to have to go through
a lengthier interview process. But I am so, so excited and happy for
him. The day we taught him, we shared a video called "lifting burdens"
where the apostles and prophet share their testimony of Christ.
Afterwards, R just started crying. He shared the most powerful
testimony of Christ I have ever heard - so, so humble, and so full of
heartfelt gratitude for his savior, who had helped him through so much
and could forgive him of his sins. It was the most powerful testimony
I've ever heard.... It really strengthened my faith in the atonement
and the power of Christ's sacrifice for us. It was so, so powerful!
I'm so excited for him to be baptized!

It was so fun coming to Maryvale. L, the lady we baptized in south
Phoenix, she had actually moved to the Maryvale ward a while ago, and
brother Torres and bishop Allen were really worried about her. But my
second day in Maryvale we went to go see her, and she was sooo happy
to see us too! It was so awesome!! The sweetest reunions of my life.
:)

We had a stake bbq this Saturday, which was super fun. It's funny - I
went to it last year too, my first week in Maryvale last year! I love
serving in this stake. I'll have served at least 6 transfers in the
Phoenix stake - which is about 9 or 10 months I think? I am SO
grateful! It is such a special area. We did service this week too, we
helped a lady move into some sketchy apts. she's a single mom of 7
kids and she's moving into a tiny one bedroom apartment :( she's
actually an investigator. Their sketchy apartments too, all those odd
smells from people not living the wow and last year it's where one
intoxicated man started yelling at us that Joseph smith wasn't a
prophet. It makes me so sad to see the circumstances some People live
in :(

We are teaching an old man named L who is SO cute!! He's an older Navy veteran whose wife passed away a year ago. His family are members, and they referred him. He's been learning for a few months, and he wants to be baptized!!! He is the cutest man! I love him! He came to the stake BBQ and we got to know him and talk with him. Apparently he loves chickens, and has them trained to crow when he tells them to crow haha. He is very stubborn, but is also so sweet! We brought him to the mission president's fireside last night, and he almost started crying during the testimonies. It was sooooo powerful. K drove us all. It was so funny, afterwards we brought him up to meet President T. Pres T is over 7 feet tall, and Leo is about 5'3 hahaha, just the cutest little older gentleman. It was so sweet to see him shake President's hand, and it meant so much to Leo! His eyes crinkled up and he almost started crying when he shook his hand because Pres. T had shared an incredible testimony, and the Spirit was so strong. It was such an awesome experience!! I'll never forget that sweet handshake I saw :) 

I am just so happy right now. I don't know why Heavenly Father sent me here, but I do know it's been one of the happiest weeks of my entire life. I love my companion. I don't think I've gotten along with a companion so well since Sister R! And Sister D! I have learned SO much. Every day in personal studies, I'm really striving to develop patience and charity. So every morning I read a scripture from those sections in PMG and think of a specific way I can develop patience or charity that day. Being focused on that has made such a huge difference, in my happiness, in the love I feel for others, in the way I look at others and look at situations, and the way I handle difficulties or setbacks. I am so, so grateful for the gospel, and for the Spirit. Something I learned in personal study today is that the Spirit helps us be patient! When we feel the Spirit, it causes us to have joy, to be patient, to love others and seek to understand them and help them. We don't get overstressed or frustrated or offended easily. I hope I can continue to develop those Christlike attributes, even when life gets a little crazy.

It's going to be the best two transfers of my whole mission. :) I think I'll probably end up dying in Maryvale unless they transfer me next transfer. I'm happy wherever the Lord sends me, but I am so, SO grateful he sent me here!! I love the people of Phoenix so much. It is such an honor to serve here, and to serve them.

Well, I love you guys! I hope you have an awesome week! What has been some fun things happening at home? :) I love hearing your stories, and your experiences, the things you learn, and the pictures!!! I love you guys so much! And I am excited to see you again soon. I'm so happy in my area now that I don't even think about going home, it's awesome. But I love you guys and hope you have an awesome week. :)

love,


Sister Whitney Morris


Me and Sister D and K at the MPD!!! I LOVE these ladies!!! One year ago, Sister D and I knocked on K's door for the first time - both of us greenies, fresh on the mission field. It was so, so awesome to see them both again, together. One of the sweetest experiences of my entire life. I can't even describe the joy :) I love them so much!
 
 
Reunion with L :)
 

 
 
Us and L at the mission president's fireside! He is soooo sweet!
 

  
They made me a poster :)
 
 
Reunion with K and J, and my AWESOME companion!!! :D Sweetest moment ever!

 
And group selfie during service! We share our ward with two sets of elders! There are officially 1200 names in the ward, and only 200ish or less come to church. So there is a  TON of work to do!
 
  
Peace out, South Phoenix! I'm going to miss it there!
 
 
 
Our district in south phoenix :) I LOVE and miss these missionaries!!!! Probably my most favorite district in my whole mission! We got super close!
 
 
A hilarious chihauhua sighting.... (notice the signs). yes, it was barking at us.
 
  
The cutest kid ever :) He walked in holding these two puppies and I had to take a picture!! He's the son of a wonderful member in the south phoenix south mountain ward!
 
 
Saying goodbye to R. He is such an awesome man! I'm so excited for his baptism on April 18th! I hope I get to go to that one too. He has such a powerful testimony of Christ, and of the Book of Mormon now!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment